happiness is finding the place where being yourself is exactly what's needed

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Powwow Highway

I just saw another movie that made my heart sing and leap and cry and dance: Powwow Highway. The description doesn't really do it justice, and in some places I've found the review/description to be just plain off.

Now, it's true I've always tended to take things my own way, regardless of what I am told.

We all do that to an extent, right? At least in certain aspects of our lives. And that's part of what makes the main character of this film, Philbert, so easy to relate to.

He has strength in his beliefs, in his spiritual quest to become a warrior, from the very beginning of the story when he chooses his "pony."

He's a "big lovable" character that doesn't fall into the common movie cliche of being a bumbling fool. A dreamer, yes, and one the audience is sure to fall in love with. At least, I did. I can't think of a time, when watching a movie, that I have appreciated a character so much.

All the little things he things of along the way, all the signs and events that lead him on his quest, made me feel like I was bubbling over with glee.

It's possible that I see more of myself in this character than I ever have in a character before, because I go through long stretches of my life where it seems like I'm doing exactly what he was in the movie. Seeking visions, finding signs, collecting "medicine", following my spirit guide, whoever that may be.

If you are a human being and have never gone on this kind of journey with yourself, I urge you to do so.

And if you're looking for a funny/adorable/intriguing film to watch this weekend, give this one a try. ^_^

- - - - a small spoiler to follow - - - -

my favorite part is where he left his candy bar as an offering on the mountain. that is the cutest f*ck*ng thing i have ever f*ck*ng seen in my entire f*ck*ng life.
(and is exactly like something i would do.)



6 comments:

  1. hey we both posted movie reviews today:) Yours sounds like one I want to see...thanx for sharing;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I just watched this movie the other day. I loved it. Bruce hated it but I made him suffer! Two good minds I guess huh? !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I was just looking at this on Netflix the other day! I'll check it out! I need a good powwow in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of it until your post. Based on what you think of it, I'll give it a watch sometime. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I almost forgot...
    This relates to my blog post today. You probably life closer to where that photo was taken than anyone who is likely to see it. It was taken at Hearst Castle in San Simeon. If you have a chance to go there, you gotta. It's an interesting place and lot's of good photo ops await you there... i would have posted all this in my response to your comment, but I don't know if you see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i did not read the spoiler...but i will put this movie on my wish list...

    btw...my eviltwin gave you an award....do with it as little or as much as you will...

    ReplyDelete